Here’s a cool experience ->>> listen to the entire ‘Strength To Survive’ album along with introductions by Jake about the inspiration and stories behind every song! Share this special Soundcloud player if you dig it.
“It’s my favorite album of all time,” says SOJA’s lead vocalist Jacob Hemphill. “Bob wrote it after he went to Africa. He was desperate when he wrote it to save his homeland. Even the ballads were like ‘Africa Unite’ and ‘we’re not slaves any more.’ So we kind of set out to make that album.”
Read the full interview HERE.
The band is known for passionate renditions of roots reggae, most of it original, with lyrics from Hemphill. In conversation, even over the phone, Hemphill comes across just as upfront and driven as he is on stage—jumping into high-flying discussions of SOJA’s music, and delivering upbeat, resolutely political descriptions of the band’s message in an energetic flow.
Read the interview HERE.
The phone sat idle on the glass coffee table next to a laptop, a glass of water, an old iPhone with a cracked screen and the 100 Greatist Guitarists issue of Rolling Stone. It was mostly quiet except for the faint sound of SkillinJah’s new track “Reality” playing in the background. The song had drawn my attention away from the phone when suddenly the table shook and the clamor of the ringtone pierced the air, and nearly made me spill my water. I answered the phone; the person responded:
“This is Jacob, I think I may have missed an interview.”
Lucky for us, he didn’t miss it all.
Read the full interview HERE.
The members of roots-reggae group SOJA are relieved to begin the next phase of their career, which begins with the opening of a tour on Saturday (1/21) to support their first album for ATO Records, “Strength to Survive,” set to hit stores Jan. 31.
“We’ve been touring withh the same material for about two years now and we finally get to do some new stuff,” singer/guitarist Jacob Hemphill told SoundSpike.
Read the full interview HERE
- 02-27-12 - Style Devner reviews SOJA @ Ogden Denver
- 02-27-12 - Inity Weekly [INTERVIEW]
- 02-27-12 - Photo Essay: SOJA @ Ogden Theatre
- 02-26-12 - Review: SOJA, The Movement, Anuhea - Feb. 25, 2012
- 02-26-12 - Independent Records-Record Store. Denver, CO
- 02-21-12 - MindInversion.com Concert Review
- 02-20-12 - The Correspondence [INTERVIEW]
- 02-17-12 - JamBase [INTERVIEW]
- 02-17-12 - SOJA at 20th Century Theater on Feb 16th [PHOTOS]
- 02-17-12 - Modern Drummer w/ Ryan Berty [INTERVIEW]
- 02-16-12 - CityBeat [INTERVIEW]
- 02-15-12 - The Vermont Cynic [INTERVIEW]
- 02-14-12 - Poweredge Magazine [INTERVIEW]
- 02-09-12 - The Pier [INTERVIEW]
- 02-08-12 - Relix Reviews ‘Strength To Survive’
- 02-02-12 - The Pier reviews “Strength To Survive”
- 02-02-12 - Live Webcast - Wed. February 8th!
- 02-01-12 - STRENGTH TO SURVIVE CONTEST
- 09-26-09 - MicControl: ‘Born In Babylon’ by SOJA
- 09-21-09 - SOJA play Boulder’s Fox Theatre
- 09-17-09 - Review: SOJA show strikes symphonic gold
- 09-14-09 - SOJA - A new Brand of Reggae
- 09-10-09 - SOJA hits the stage at DubFest 2009
- 09-10-09 - Message still matters for reggae band SOJA
- 09-07-09 - CD Review: Born in Babylon